Professor Jeffrey V. Rosenfeld AM
MB BS(Melb), MD(Monash), MS(Melb), FRACS, FRCS(Ed), FACS,
FRCS(Glasg) Hon, FCNST(Hon), FRCST(Hon), FACTM, MRACMA
- Professor and Head, Division of Clinical Sciences and Department of Surgery, Central Clinical School, Monash University
- Professor and Director, Department of Neurosurgery, Alfred Hospital
- Pro-Vice Chancellor, Advancement (Major Projects), Monash University
- Major General, Australian Defence Force - Reserves
Phone +61 3 9903 0190
Professor Rosenfeld AM has been Professor and Head, Department of Surgery, Central Clinical School, Monash University since 2006. In 2011, he was appointed Head of the newly formed Division of Clinical Sciences in the Central Clinical School. Professor Rosenfeld was appointed the Professor/Director of Neurosurgery at the Alfred Hospital and Monash University in October 2000.
The Department of Surgery facilitates and supports research throughout the surgical departments at the Alfred and Cabrini Hospitals. It has particular academic strengths in trauma surgery, neurosurgery, cardiothoracic surgery, endocrine surgery, colorectal surgery, bariatric surgery (in collaboration with Professor Paul O'Brien and the Centre for Obesity Research and Education). Research programs are now rapidly expanding in orthopaedics, urology and burns.
Since graduating in medicine from the University of Melbourne in 1976 Professor Rosenfeld qualified in general surgery and neurosurgery. He is also one of Australia's most senior and experienced military surgeons. Professor Rosenfeld specialises in cerebrovascular surgery (aneurysms, arterio-venous malformations), brain tumour and skull base surgery, minimal access and neuro-endoscopic surgery and has a particular academic and clinical interest in neurotrauma for which he has an international profile. He is an international leader in surgery for hypothalamic hamartoma. He has a keen interest in building up specialist medical services, particularly neurosurgery, for developing nations, and has worked extensively internationally.
Professor Rosenfeld was co-principal investigator on the first multi-centre randomised controlled trial of decompressive craniectomy for patients with severe diffuse traumatic brain injury and is a Principal Investigator on the Monash University Bionic Eye Project which was awarded $8 million by the Australian Research Council in 2009.
- Book: Neurosurgery in the Tropics: a practical approach to common problems co-authored with David A K Watters, Macmillan, London (2000)
- Book: Practical management of head and neck injury, Elsevier (2012)
- Journal articles and book chapters: over 220 publications
- Appointed to the Editorial Board of five international journals
- Chair, Editorial Board, 'ADF Health', Journal of the ADF Health Services (2004-2012)