The Department of Surgery in the School of Clinical Sciences at Monash Health is a dynamic teaching and translational research hub. If you’re interested in robotic or minimally invasive cardiac and thoracic surgery (in association with the Monash Institute of Medical Engineering), vascular surgery or renal transplantation, stem cells in neurosurgery, surgical oncology or advanced voice research you’ve come to the right place.In fact, research opportunities are offered in all specialties of surgery.
Our Head of Department, Professor Julian Smith, has more than three decades’ experience in medicine and surgery; with career highlights including development of the Heartport system of minimally invasive cardiac surgery and establishment of one of the world’s largest lung volume reduction surgery programs. Other academic staff have broad basic science and clinical research experience.
- Research index page
- Breast surgery
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Colorectal surgery
- Dental and oral maxillofacial surgery
- Ear, nose and throat/head and neck surgery
- Intensive care unit
- Orthopaedic surgery
- Paediatric surgery
- Plastic surgery
- Respiratory and thoracic surgery
- Upper gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary surgery
- Vascular surgery including transplantation
Latest School Newsread more headlines
- Monash leads Federal Government NHMRC project grant funding
- Asia Pacific Lupus Collaboration presented in Washington, D.C.
- Monash patients benefit from blood cancer drug for autoimmune disease
- Medical student research recognised at SCS
- Congratulations to A/Prof Maxine Bonham on receiving the 2016 National Heart Foundation Ross Hohnen Award