Research in The Monash University Centre for Inflammatory Diseases (CID) spans basic experimental biology, clinical research and clinical practice in inflammatory diseases. We use both clinical and laboratory based experimental techniques to explore the mechanisms of inflammatory injury in important human diseases - and then relate these to unmet needs in patient treatment and management. Researchers within the Centre are expert in laboratory based and clinically focused research.
Several Monash Health Clinical Departments are prominently represented in the Centre, with strong links between patient care and research. These include the Monash Health Departments of Nephrology, Rheumatology, Gastroenterology and Hepatology, and Infectious Diseases. We train scientists and clinician-scientists at a high level, with many having gone on to work as independent and successful researchers.
There are more than 80 research students and staff in the Centre, sustaining a track record of important publications in journals including Nature Medicine, PNAS USA, Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, Arthritis and Rheumatology, Blood, The Lancet, Hepatology and The Journal of Clinical Investigation, with over 200 scientific papers published in the last five years. The Centre has had NHMRC and other competitively acquired grant funding over many years and holds over 30 grants totalling $3.5 million.
The Centre is a designated "research strength" of Monash University's Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, being part of the Department of Medicine and the School of Clinical Sciences at Monash Health. In 1996 the CID was established by a group of clinician-scientists specialising in nephrology, rheumatology, cardiovascular disease, respiratory medicine and infectious diseases, with basic scientists, to investigate mechanisms of injurious inflammation.
- Atherosclerosis Cardiovascular Inflammation Group
- Autoimmune Kidney Disease and Vasculitis Research Group
- Chronic Kidney Disease and Transplantation Research
- Inflammatory Respiratory Disease Research Group
- Leukocyte Trafficking Group
- Liver/Gut Inflammation and Fibrosis Research Group
- Lupus and Arthritis Research Group
- Monash Infectious Diseases
- Neuroinflammation Research Group
Join the Conversation
Opportunities at the CID
Latest School Newsread more headlines
- Professor Eric Morand reappointed as Head, School of Clinical Sciences at Monash Health (SCS)
- PhD Scholarship at Monash Lung & Sleep
- SCS researchers working to improve health outcomes for obese children and older adults
- Monash research brings hope to patients with asthma, COPD and other chronic inflammatory diseases
- Early career practitioner fellowships enabling research