Prerequisite Reminder for direct entry into MBBS
- applicants must have completed Year 12 studies (or VCE equivalent) no more than two years prior, and have not commenced other studies at a tertiary level during that time.
- applicants must have a study score of at least 35 (out of a score of 50) in English as a Second/Additional Language (ESL/EAL) or 30 (out of a score of 50) in English, and at least 30 (out of a score of 50) in Chemistry.
- the minimum ATAR to be eligible is 90 but usually a significantly higher ATAR is required due to the competitive nature of the course.
- All applicants must have undertaken the UMAT.
- selection for interview will be based on a combination of the UMAT and ATAR results
Additional information regarding entry requirements
The MBBS course at Monash University Clayton Campus is only available to:
• current Year 12 students; or
• applicants who have completed VCE (or equivalent) within the previous two years and have not commenced tertiary studies.
Applicants who fall outside of these requirements may wish to consider graduate entry Medicine at Gippsland campus.
Prerequisites for Year 12 students
Students studying Year 12 are required to obtain a study score equivalent to at least 35 in English (EAL) or 30 in any other English and a study score of at least 30 in Chemistry in VCE (or equivalent) with the ATAR floor of 90. However, to be competitive, results need to be at least equivalent to an ATAR of 95 or above, be at least equal to or greater than 3 A's at "A Level" including an A for Chemistry, IB results of 39 overall or greater or a MUFY overall score of 355 or greater.
For students who have not studied Year 12 Biology, the Faculty provides a bridging program that commences in late January each year.
For further information on this program please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Faculty is required to adhere to the University minimum age policy for domestic applicants which can be read online.
International applicants should also read the following policy:
In addition, applicants who are under 17 years of age at the time of commencement in the course will be required to meet with the Deputy Dean (MBBS), or representative, and may have additional enrolment requirements, such as deferral of their place, imposed upon them. Those who are allowed to enrol will also be required to attend regular meetings which are required (by law) to continue until they have turned 17.
On enrolment a medical certificate specifying the student’s current health and immunisation status is required. Students must satisfy the immunisation requirements specified by the Faculty before undertaking clinical placements. Students will also be asked to obtain a National Police Certificate (annual requirement) and a Working With Children check on enrolment in the program. It is highly recommended that students hold or attain by the end of first semester, a current registered Level 2 or Senior First Aid Certificate.
All MBBS students must be registered with the Medical Practitioners Board of Victoria in order to have access to clinical placements. The faculty will advise students on the procedure as part of the enrolment process.
Unfortunately Monash University MBBS does not accept transfers.
For students currently studying a non medical degree who are interested in pursuing medical studies, please view information about the Graduate Medical Program that Monash University offers from the School of Rural Health: