M8 Alliance website
The M8 Alliance of Academic Health Centers, Universities and National Academies is a prestigious grouping of organisations committed to improving global health through research collaboration, evaluation of best practice in medical education, exchange of ideas and providing an academic foundation to the annual World Health Summit in Berlin - the pre-eminent global gathering for academia, industry, government and non-government organisations - influencing the agenda for global health policy.
Monash University is a significant contributor to the M8 Alliance and the only member from Australia.
In 2011 Monash was the co-presidency member of the third World Health Summit under the high patronage of the Chancellor of Germany and President of France.
Professor Ben Canny, President of the Academic Board at Monash University, is an active member of the M8 Executive Committee as one of two elected delegates, and chairs the M8 Alliance's Education Committee.
The 2009 foundation members of the M8 Alliance are:
- Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Germany
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, USA
- Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
- Imperial College London, United Kingdom
- Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences / Peking Union Medical College, China
- Sorbonne Paris Cité, France
- Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow, Russian Federation
- InterAcademy Medical Panel (IAMP)
- International Association of Academic Health Centers (AAHC)
Through expansion, the M8 Alliance membership now includes:
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, United Kingdom
- Makerere University, Uganda
- University of Montreal, Canada
- University of São Paulo, Brazil
- National University of Singapore
- University of Geneva, Switzerland