Professor Tony Purcell
Larkin's Professorial Fellow and NHMRC Senior Research Fellow
Head Immunoproteomics Laboratory
Deputy Head of Department (Research)
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
Monash University, Clayton, Victoria 3800, Australia
Honorary Professorial Fellow,
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia
Location: Room 207, Level 2, 23 Innovation Walk (Formerly Building 77)
Phone: +61 3 9902 9265 (office/voicemail),
Fax: +61 3 9902 9500
Lab Head Profile
I completed my Bachelor of Science Degree with honors under the supervision of Milton Hearn and Mibel Aguilar here at Monash University in 1987. I continued these studies into my PhD. During this time I was interested in protein and peptide separation and more and more in the very sensitive detection and characterisation of peptides. This inevitably led to the use of mass spectrometry in the pre-proteomics days.
Following on from this I spent a year in John Wallace's lab at the University of Adelaide, Biochemistry Department, studying biotin ligases and pyruvate carboxylase. This led to an appreciation of enzymology and molecular biology. In 1994 I joined Jim McCluskey's laboratory then at Flinders University and began a fascination with immune recognition and the key role peptides play in modulating health and disease. I soon found that my skills in analytical biochemistry and mass spectrometry had found the perfect niche. Over 20 years later I still have a long list of unanswered questions about immune recognition of peptides and other biomolecules. In 1997 I moved to the University of Melbourne as a senior post-doctoral fellow in Jim's new lab in the Microbiology and Immunology Department. In 2003 I was awarded a CR Roper Fellowship and began a path to independent research. Around this time I also began to acquire some serious mass spectrometry infrastructure and began in earnest to apply cutting edge mass spectrometry techniques to key questions in immunology and of course biochemistry in general. In 2005 I moved to the Bio21 Institute as the Grimwade Senior Research Fellow in the Biochemistry Department at University of Melbourne. In 2008 I was awarded an NHMRC Senior Research Fellowship and in 2009 appointed as a Reader in the same Department. In July 2012 I effectively came home back to Monash as Head of Quantitative Proteomics under the Talent Enhancement Scheme as a Larkin's Professorial Fellow. IN 2015 I became Deputy Head of Department (Research)
About the Lab
The Purcell laboratory is housed within the $280 million STRIP (Science and Technology Research and Innovation Precinct) biomedical research hub at Monash University, Clayton Campus. The Purcell laboratory currently houses 6 state of the art mass spectrometers and a critical mass of expert users including 6 post-doctoral fellows, 3 research assistants, 5 PhD students and technical assistance. The laboratory is collocated with the research intensive arm of the $4 million Biomedical Proteomics Facility which includes additional instrumentation and several qualified operators and 3 full time post-doctoral bioinformaticians. The Purcell laboratory specialises in targeted and global quantitative proteomics of complex biological samples. The laboratory has an outstanding track record in delivering high end outcomes including recent publications in highly regarding peer reviewed journals including Nature (4), Nature Immunol (4), Nat Methods, Nat Struct Mol Biol, PNAS (12), J Exp Med (8), Immunity (8), J Clin Invest, Mol Cell Proteomics (3), Proteomics (4), Anal Chem (3), J Proteomics Res (2), J Biol Chem (11) and 7 patents.
Lab Research Areas
Next Generation Proteomics: We are developing novel targeted approaches for the analysis of complex samples which include precursor scanning approaches, multiple reaction monitoring, data independent acquisition techniques such as SWATH MS.
Studies of the immunopeptidome in health and disease: The major focus of my lab is studying the peptides liberated from pathogens, self proteins, tumor proteins that are presented on the cell surface for scrutiny by T lymphocytes. The following areas are under active investigation
Viral antigen presentation:
Epstein Barr Virus (in context of immunodominance, a model of viral antigen presentation during lytic and latent phases, viral immune evasion, non-hodgkins lymphoma)
HIV (in context of T cell epitopes in long term non progressors, T cell epitopes derived from alternative transcripts, T cell epitopes involved in the generation of broadly neutralizing antibodies)
Vaccinia Virus (in context of immunodominance, quantitation of viral antigen presentation)
Self antigen presentation:
Tolerance and graft rejection
Autoimmunity and HLA haplotypes
Post-translationally modified antigens and their role in autoimmune diseases (diabetes, MS, arthritis)
The link between bacterial infection and autoimmunity
The Research Team
• Nadine Dudek (Postdoctoral Fellow)
• Nathan Croft (Postdoctoral Fellow)
• Ralf Schittenhelm (Postdoctoral Fellow)
• Patricia Illing (NHMRC Early Career Fellow)
• Nicole Mifsud (Postdoctoral Fellow)
• Chris Barlow (Postdoctoral Fellow)
• Sri Ramarathinam (with Damian Purcell, Peter Doherty Institute, University of Melbourne)
• Kai Lin Giam
• Ting Wu
• Amanda Woon
• Louise Rowntree (with Tom Kotsimbos, Alfred Hospital and Nicole Mifsud)
• Katherine Scull (with Nick Williamson, Bio21 Institute, University of Melbourne)
• Rochelle Ayala-Perez
• Iresha Hanchapola
• Jeff Lai (part-time undergraduate)
• Heidi Fettke (part-time undergraduate)
• Saranjah Sivaneswaran
• Will Leong
• Villy Julita (UROP student)
The Immunoproteomics Laboratory is seeking enthusiastic students to conduct research in molecular immunology in the various project areas described above.
The Laboratory utilises a variety of molecular, cellular and biochemical techniques, including advanced mass spectrometry techniques, functional immunological studies, structural biology, cellular imaging and protein-protein interaction analysis. A variety of projects for Honours, MSc and PhD students are available.
Candidates must have a high level (H1) Honours degree (or equivalent) in Biochemistry or Molecular Biology, Immunology or a related discipline. Students currently completing an honours degree are also encouraged to apply.
To apply, please ensure you include with your application:
• a cover letter including a brief outline (1 page) detailing your interest in, and suitability for, the project
• a detailed curriculum vitae including academic transcript(s)
• names and contact details of 2 academic referees.
Please email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Publications (last 5 years and selected earlier work)
- W Chen, NJ Ede, J McCluskey, DC Jackson, AW Purcell (1996) CTL recognition of an altered peptide associated with asparagine bond rearrangement. J Immunol, 157:1000-5
- AW Purcell, W Chen, N Ede, J Gorman, J Fecondo, D Jackson, Y Zhao, J McCluskey (1998) Avoidance of self-reactivity results in skewed CTL responses to rare components of synthetic immunogens. J Immunol, 160:1085-90
- MJ Barnden*, AW Purcell* (joint first authors), JJ Gorman, J McCluskey (2000) Tapasin-mediated retention and optimization of peptide ligands during Class I assembly. J Immunol, 165: 322-330
- AP Williams, CA Peh, AW Purcell, J McCluskey, T Elliott (2002) Optimisation of the MHC Class I peptide cargo is catalysed by Tapasin. Immunity, 16: 509-520
- WA Macdonald*, AW Purcell*, N Mifsud, L Ely, D Williams, L Chang, J Gorman, C Clements, L Kjer-Nielsen, D Koelle, AG Brooks, GO Lovrecz, L Lu, J Rossjohn, J McCluskey (2003) A naturally selected dimorphism within the HLA-B44 supertype alters Class I structure, peptide repertoire and T cell recognition. J Exp Med, 198: 679-691 (*joint first authors)
- D Zernich*, AW Purcell*, WA Macdonald, L Kjer-Nielsen, LK Ely, N Laham, TL Crockford, NA Mifsud, M Bharadwaj, L Chang, BD Tait, R Holdsworth, AG Brooks, SP Bottomley, T Beddoe, CA Peh, J Rossjohn, J McCluskey (2004) Natural HLA Class I polymorphism controls the pathway of antigen presentation and susceptibility to viral evasion. J Exp Med, 200:13-24 (*equal contributors)
- AW Purcell, JJ Gorman (2004) Immunoproteomics: Mass spectrometry based methods to study the specificity of immune responses. Mol Cell Proteomics, 3:193-208
- NA Borg, LK Ely, T Beddoe, WA Macdonald, HH Reid, CS Clements, AW Purcell, L Kjer-Nielsen, JJ Miles, SR Burrows, J McCluskey, J Rossjohn (2005) The CDR3 hypervariable regions of an immunodominant alpha-beta T Cell Receptor dictate the energetic landscape of cognate MHCp recognition. Nature Immunol, 6:171-180
- SJ Turner, K Kedzierska, H Komodromou, NL La Gruta, MA Dunstone, AI Webb, R Webby, H Walden, W Xie, J McCluskey, AW Purcell, J Rossjohn, PC Doherty (2005) Lack of prominent peptide/MHC features limits T cell repertoire diversity for virus-specific CD8+ T cells. Nature Immunol, 6: 382-389
- FE Tynan, AM Buckle, SR Burrows, CS Clements, NA Borg, JJ Miles, T Beddoe, JC Whisstock, MC Wilce, SL Silins, JM Burrows, L Kjer-Nielsen, L Kostenko, AW Purcell, J McCluskey, J Rossjohn (2005) TCR recognition of a super-bulged MHC-I viral epitope maintains MHC-restriction. Nature Immunol, 6: 1114-22
- F Tynan, D Elhassen, AW Purcell, JM Burrows, NA Borg, JJ Miles, NA Williamson, KJ Green, J Tellam, L Kjer-Nielsen, J McCluskey, J Rossjohn, SR Burrows (2005) The Immunogenicity of a Viral Cytotoxic T Cell Epitope is controlled by its MHC-bound Conformation. J Exp Med, 202: 1249-60
- SI Mannering, LC Harrison, NA Williamson, JS Morris, DJ Thearle, KP Jensen, BA Falk, GT Nepom, TW Kay, J Rossjohn, AW Purcell (2005) A human T-cell epitope in insulin created by post-translational modification. J Exp Med, 202: 1191-1197
- AW Purcell, J McCluskey, J Rossjohn (2007) More than one reason to rethink the use of peptides in vaccine design. Nature Rev Drug Discovery, 6:404-14
- D Chessman, L Kostenko, T Lethborg, AW Purcell, NA Williamson, Z Chen, L Kjer-Nielsen, NA Mifsud, BD Tait, R Holdsworth, CA Almeida, D Nolan, WA Macdonald, JK Archbold, A Kellerher, D Marriott, S Mallal, M Bharadwaj, J Rossjohn, J McCluskey (2008) Human Leukocyte Antigen Class I-restricted activation of CD8+ T cells provides the immunogenetic basis of a systemic drug hypersensitivity. Immunity, 28:822-832
- NS Butler, A Theodossis, AI Webb, R Nastovska, SH Ramarathinam, MA Dunstone, J Rossjohn, AW Purcell* and S Perlman* (2008) Prevention of cytotoxic T cell escape using a heteroclitic subdominant viral T cell determinant. PLoS Pathog 4: e1000186 (*Joint senior authors)
- LM Ebert, YC Liu, CS Clements, NC Robson, H Jackson, JL Markby, N Dimopoulos, BS Tan, IF Luescher, ID Davis, J Rossjohn, J Cebon, AW Purcell, W Chen (2009) A Long, Naturally Presented Immunodominant Epitope from NY-ESO-1 Tumor Antigen: Implications for Cancer Vaccine Design. Cancer Res, 69:1046-1054
- J Petersen, SJ Wurzbacher, NA Williamson, SH Ramarathinam, HH Reid, AKN Nair, AY Zhao, R Nastovska, G Rudge, J Rossjohn, AW Purcell (2009) Phosphorylated self-peptides alter Human Leukocyte Antigen Class I-restricted antigen presentation and generate tumor specific epitopes. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA), 106: 2776-81
- WA Macdonald, Z Chen, S Gras, JK Archbold, FE Tynan, CS Clements, M Bharadwaj, L Kjer-Nielsen, PM Saunders, MCJ Wilce, F Crawford, AG Brooks, AW Purcell, JW Kappler, SR Burrows, J Rossjohn, J McCluskey (2009) T-cell allorecognition due to molecular mimicry. Immunity, 31:897-908
- K Anwari, S Poggio, A Perry , X Gatsos, SH Ramarathinam, NA Williamson, N Noinaj, S Buchanan, K Gabriel, AW Purcell, C Jacobs-Wagner, T Lithgow (2010) A modular BAM complex in the outer membrane of the alpha-proteobacterium Caulobacter crescentus. PLoS One, 5:e8619
- NP Croft, AW Purcell (2010) Enhancing tumor vaccines: catalyzing MHC class II peptide exchange. Expert Rev Vaccines, 9:129-32.
- R Shankar, MP Johnson, NA Williamson, F Cullinane, AW Purcell, EK Moses, SP Brennecke (2010) Molecular markers of preterm labor in the choriodecidua. Reprod Sci, 17:297-310.
- A Theodossis, C Guillonneau, A Welland, LK Ely, CS Clements, NA Williamson, AI Webb, JA Wilce, RJ Mulder, MA Dunstone, PC Doherty, J McCluskey, AW Purcell, SJ Turner, J Rossjohn (2010) Constraints within major histocompatibility complex class I restricted peptides: presentation and consequences for T-cell recognition. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA), 107:5534-9
- H Safavi-Hemami, G Bulaj, BM Olivera, NA Williamson, AW Purcell (2010) Identification of Conus peptidylprolyl cis-trans isomerases (PPIases) and assessment of their role in the oxidative folding of conotoxins. J Biol Chem, 285:12735-46
- JH Reed, NL Dudek, SE Osborne, KM Kaufman, MW Jackson, AW Purcell, TP Gordon (2010) Reactivity with dichotomous determinants of Ro 60 stratifies autoantibody responses in lupus and primary Sjögren's syndrome. Arthritis Rheum, 62:1448-56
- SR Burrows, Z Chen, JK Archbold, FE Tynan, T Beddoe, L Kjer-Nielsen, JJ Miles, R Khanna, DJ Moss, YC Liu, S Gras, L Kostenko, RM Brennan, CS Clements, AG Brooks, AW Purcell, J McCluskey, J Rossjohn (2010) Hard wiring of T cell receptor specificity for the major histocompatibility complex is underpinned by TCR adaptability. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA), 107:10608-13.
- KP Kulkarni, SH Ramarathinam, J Friend, L Yeo, AW Purcell*, P Perlmutter* (2010) Rapid microscale in-gel processing and digestion of proteins using surface acoustic waves. Lab Chip, 10:1518-20 (*Joint senior authors).
- S Gras, Z Chen, JJ Miles, YC Liu, MJ Bell, LC Sullivan, L Kjer-Nielsen, RM Brennan, JM Burrows, MA Neller, R Khanna, AW Purcell, AG Brooks, J McCluskey, J Rossjohn, SR Burrows (2010) Allelic polymorphism in the T cell receptor and its impact on immune responses. J Exp Med, 207:1555-67.
- SA Valkenburg, S Gras, C Guillonneau, NL La Gruta, PG Thomas, AW Purcell, J Rossjohn, PC Doherty, SJ Turner, K Kedzierska (2010) Protective Efficacy of Cross-Reactive CD8 T Cells Recognising Mutant Viral Epitopes Depends on Peptide-MHC-I Structural Interactions and T Cell Activation Threshold. PLoS Pathog, 6: e1001039
- H Safavi-Hemami, ND Young, NA Williamson, AW Purcell (2010) Proteomic interrogation of venom delivery in marine cone snails: novel insights into the role of the venom bulb. J Proteome Res, 9:5610-9
- SS Pang, R Berry1, Z Chen, L Kjer-Nielsen, MA Perugini, GF King, C Wang, SH Chew, N La Gruta, NK Williams, T Beddoe, T Tiganis, NP Cowieson, DI Godfrey, AW Purcell, MCJ Wilce, J McCluskey, J Rossjohn (2010) The structural basis for autonomous dimerisation of the pre T-cell receptor. Nature, 467:844-8.
- NL Dudek, P. Perlmutter, MI Aguilar, NP Croft, AW Purcell (2010) Epitope discovery and their use in peptide based vaccines. Curr Pharm Des, 16:3149-57.
- H Pham, J Doerrbecker, AA Ramp, CS D'Souza, DG Gorasia, AW Purcell, MM Ayers, JM Orian (2011) Experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) IN C57Bl/6 mice is not associated with astrogliosis. J Neuroimmunol, 232:51-62
- NA Williamson, C Reilly, CT Tan, SH Ramarathinam, A Jones, CL Hunter, FR Rooney, AW Purcell (2011) A novel strategy for the targeted analysis of protein and peptide metabolites. Proteomics, 11:183-92
- NP Croft, AW Purcell (2011) Peptidomimetics: modifying peptides in the pursuit of better vaccines. Exp Rev Vaccines, 10:211-26
- CB Reilly, SH Ramarathinam, NA Williamson, AW Purcell (2011) Stable isotope shifted matrices enable the use of low mass ion precursor scanning for targeted metabolite identification. Proteome Science, 9:2
- B Gerlach, SM Cordier, AC Schmukle, CH Emmerich, E Rieser, TL Haas, AI Webb, JA Rickard, H Anderton, W Wong, U Nachbur, L Gangoda, U Warnken, AW Purcell, J Silke, H Walczak (2011) Linear ubiquitination prevents inflammation and regulates immune signalling. Nature, 471:591-596
- CT Tan, NP Croft, NL Dudek, NA Williamson, AW Purcell (2011) Direct quantitation of MHC-bound peptide epitopes by selected reaction monitoring. Proteomics, 11:2336-40
- H Safavi-Hemami, WA Siero, Z Kuang, NA Williamson, JA Karas, LR Page, D Macmillan, B Callaghan, S Nag Kompella, DJ Adams, RS Norton, AW Purcell (2011) Embryonic toxin expression in the cone snail conus victoriae - primed to kill or divergent function? J Biol Chem, 286:22546-57
- JH Reed, RM Clancy, AW Purcell, MY Kim, TP Gordon, JP Buyon (2011) β2-Glycoprotein I and Protection from Anti-SSA/Ro60-Associated Cardiac Manifestations of Neonatal Lupus. J Immunol, 187:520-6
- EB Day, C Guillonneau, S Gras, NL La Gruta, DA Vignali, PC Doherty, AW Purcell, J Rossjohn, SJ Turner (2011) Structural basis for enabling T-cell receptor diversity within biased virus-specific CD8+ T-cell responses. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA), 108: 9536-41
- H Safavi-Hemami, WA Siero, DG Gorasia, ND Young, D Macmillan, NA Williamson, AW Purcell (2011) Specialisation of the venom gland proteome in predatory cone snails reveals functional diversification of the conotoxin biosynthetic pathway. J Proteome Res, 10: 3904-19
- KK Ia, GR Jeschke, Y Deng, MA Kamaruddin, NA Williamson, DB Scanlon, JG Culvenor, MI Hossain, AW Purcell, S Liu, HJ Zhu, BL Catimel, BE Turk, HC Cheng (2011) Defining the substrate specificity determinants recognized by the active site of C-terminal Src kinase-Homologous Kinase (CHK) and identification of β-Synuclein as a potential CHK physiological substrate. Biochemistry, 50: 6667-77
- M Bharadwaj, P Illing, A Theodossis, AW Purcell, J Rossjohn, J McCluskey (2012) Drug hypersensitivity and Human Leukocyte Antigens of the Major Histocompatibility Complex. Ann Rev Pharmacol Toxicol, 52:401-31
- S Gras, PG Wilmann, Z Chen, H Halim, YC Liu, L Kjer-Nielsen, AW Purcell, SR Burrows, J McCluskey, J Rossjohn (2012) A structural basis for varied αβ TCR usage against an immunodominant EBV antigen restricted to a HLA-B8 molecule. J Immunol, 188(1): 311-12
- YC Liu, Z Chen, SR Burrows, AW Purcell, J McCluskey, J Rossjohn, S Gras (2012) The energetic basis underpinning T-cell receptor recognition of a super-bulged peptide bound to a major histocompatibility complex class I molecule. J Biol Chem, 188:311-21
- J Selkrig, K Mosbahi, CT Webb, M Totsika, MD Phan, AJ Perry, N Celik, M Kelly, C Oates, EL Hartland, RM Robins-Browne, SH Ramarathinam, AW Purcell, MA Schembri, RA Strugnell, IR Henderson, D Walker, T Lithgow (2012) Discovery of an archetypal protein transport system in bacterial outer membranes. Nature Struc Mol Biol, 19:506-10
- YM Ramdzan, S Polling, CPZ Chia, IHW Ng, AR Ormsby, NP Croft, AW Purcell, MA Bogoyevitch, DCH Ng, PA Gleeson, DM Hatters (2012) Tracking protein aggregation and mislocalization in cells with flow cytometry. Nature Methods, 9:467-70
- KE Scull, NL Dudek, AJ Corbett, SH Ramarathinam, DG Gorasia, NA Williamson, AW Purcell (2012) Secreted HLA recapitulates the immunopeptidome and allows in-depth coverage of HLA A*02:01 ligands. Mol Immunol, 51:136-42
- JL Dunne, L Overbergh, AW Purcell, C Mathieu (2012) Posttranslational modifications of proteins in type 1 diabetes: The next step in finding the cure? Diabetes, 61:1907-14
- PT Illing, JP Vivian, NL Dudek, L Kostenko, Z Chen, M Bharadwaj, JJ Miles, L Kjer-Nielsen, S Gras, NA Williamson, SR Burrows, AW Purcell*, J Rossjohn*, J McCluskey* (2012) Immune self-reactivity triggered by drug-modified Human Leukocyte Antigen-peptide repertoire. Nature, 486:554-558, (*co-corresponding authors)
- NL Dudek, CT Tan, DG Gorasia, NP Croft, PT Illing, AW Purcell (2012) Constitutive and inflammatory immunopeptidome of pancreatic β cells. Diabetes, 61(11):3018-25
- SC Law, S Street, CA Yu, C Capini, S Ramnoruth, E van Gorp, C Hyde, K Lau, H Pahau, AW Purcell, R Thomas (2012) T cell autoreactivity to citrullinated autoantigenic peptides in rheumatoid arthritis patients carrying HLA-DRB1 shared epitope alleles. Arthritis Res Ther, 14(3):R118
- H Safavi-Hemami, DG Gorasia, AM Steiner, NA Williamson, JA Karas, J Gajewiak, BM Olivera, G Bulaj, AW Purcell (2012) Modulation of conotoxin structure and function is achieved through a multienzyme complex in the venom glands of cone snails. J Biol Chem, 287(41):34288-303
- L Kjer-Nielsen, O Patel, AJ Corbett, J Le Nours, B Meehan, L Liu, M Bhati, Z Chen, L Kostenko, R Reantragoon, NA Williamson, AW Purcell, NL Dudek, MJ McConville, RAJ O'Hair, GN Khairallah, DI Godfrey, DP Fairlie, J Rossjohn, J McCluskey (2012) MR1 presents microbial vitamin B metabolites to MAIT cells. Nature, 491:717-23
- SE Broughton, J Petersen, A Theodossis, SW Scally, KL Loh, A Thompson, J van Bergen, Y Kooy-Winkelaar, KN Henderson, T Beddoe, JA Tye-Din,SI Mannering, AW Purcell, J McCluskey, RP Anderson, F Koning, H Reid, J Rossjohn (2012) Biased T Cell Receptor usage directed against Human Leukocyte Antigen DQ8-restricted Gliadin peptides is associated with Celiac Disease. Immunity, 37(4):611-21
- NL Dudek, K Giam, AW Purcell (2013) The use of proteomics to dissect the molecular specificities of T cells in Type 1 Diabetes. J Diabetes Metab, S12:006
- LF Dagley, A Emili, AW Purcell (2013) Application of quantitative proteomics technologies to the biomarker discovery pipeline for multiple sclerosis. Proteomics Clin Appl, 7(1-2):91-108
- RA Dunstan, Heinz, LC Wijeyewickrema, RN Pike, AW Purcell, TJ Evans, J Praszkier, RM Robins-Browne, RA Strugnell, KV Korotkov, T Lithgow (2013) Assembly of the Type II secretion system such as found in Vibrio cholerae depends on the novel Pilotin AspS. PLoS Pathog, 9(1):e1003117
- NP Croft, SA Smith, YC Wong, CT Tan, NL Dudek,IEA Flesch, LCW Lin, DC Tscharke*, AW Purcell* (2013) Kinetics of Antigen Expression and Epitope Presentation during Virus Infection. PLoS Pathog, 9(1): e1003129 (*Joint senior authors)
- LF Dagley, A Emili, AW Purcell (2013) Application of quantitative proteomics technologies to the biomarker discovery pipeline for multiple sclerosis. Proteomics Clin Appl, 7(1-2):91-108
- D Vuckovic, LF Dagley, AW Purcell, A Emili (2013) Membrane proteomics by high performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry: Analytical approaches and challenges. Proteomics, 13(3-4):404-23
- PT Illing, JP Vivian, AW Purcell, J Rossjohn, J McCluskey (2013) Human leukocyte antigen-associated drug hypersensitivity. Curr Opin Immunol, 25(1):81-9
- SA Valkenburg, S Gras, C Guillonneau, LA Hatton, NA Bird, KA Twist, H Halim, DC Jackson, AW Purcell, SJ Turner, PC Doherty, J Rossjohn, K Kedzierska (2013) Preemptive priming readily overcomes structure-based mechanisms of virus escape. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 110(14):5570-5
- YC Liu, JJ Miles, MA Neller, E Gostick, DA Price, AW Purcell, J McCluskey, SR Burrows, J Rossjohn, S Gras (2013) Highly divergent T-cell receptor binding modes underlie specific recognition of a bulged viral peptide bound to a human leukocyte antigen class I molecule. J Biol Chem, 288(22):15442-54
- MJ Rist, A Theodossis, NP Croft, MA Neller, A Welland, Z Chen, LC Sullivan, JM Burrows, JJ Miles, RM Brennan, S Gras, R Khanna, AG Brooks, J McCluskey, AW Purcell*, J Rossjohn*, SR Burrows* (2013) HLA peptide length preferences control CD8+ T cell responses. J Immunol, 191(2):561-71 (*joint senior authors)
- H Safavi-Hemami, C Möller, F Marí, AW Purcell (2013) High molecular weight components of the injected venom of fish-hunting cone snails target the vascular system. J Proteomics, 91:97-105
- SW Scally, J Petersen, SC Law, NL Dudek, HJ Nel, KL Loh, LC Wijeyewickrema, SB Eckle, J van Heemst, RN Pike, J McCluskey, RE Toes, NL La Gruta, AW Purcell*, HH Reid*, R Thomas*, J Rossjohn* (2013) A molecular basis for the association of the HLA-DRB1 locus, citrullination, and rheumatoid arthritis. J Exp Med, 210(12):2569-82. (*joint senior authors)
- LF Dagley, CA White, Y Liao, W Shi, GK Smyth, JM Orian, A Emili, AW Purcell (2014) Quantitative proteomic profiling reveals novel region-specific markers in the adult mouse brain. Proteomics, 14: 241-261
- LF Dagley, NP Croft, R Isserlin, JB Olsen, V Fong, A Emili, AW Purcell (2014) Discovery of novel disease-specific and membrane-associated markers in a mouse model of multiple sclerosis. Mol Cell Proteomics, 13(3):679-700
- RB Schittenhelm, NL Dudek, NP Croft, SH Ramarathinam, AW Purcell (2014) A comprehensive analysis of constitutive naturally processed and presented HLA-C*04:01 (Cw4) - specific peptides. Tissue Antigens, 83(3):174-9
- H Safavi-Hemami, H Hu, DG Gorasia, PK Bandyopadhyay, PD Veith, ND Young, EC Reynolds, M Yandell, BM Olivera, AW Purcell (2014) Combined proteomic and transcriptomic interrogation of the venom gland of Conus geographus uncovers novel components and functional compartmentalization. Mol Cell Proteomics, 13(4):938-53
- SD Robinson, H Safavi-Hemami, LD McIntosh, AW Purcell, RS Norton, AT Papenfuss (2014) Diversity of Conotoxin Gene Superfamilies in the Venomous Snail, Conus victoriae. PLoS One, 9(2):e87648
- NL Dudek, AW Purcell (2014) The Beta cell immunopeptidome. Vitam Horm, 95:115-44.
- JA Trujillo, S Gras, KA Twist, NP Croft, R Channappanavar, J Rossjohn*, AW Purcell*, S Perlman* (2014) Structural and functional correlates of enhanced antiviral immunity generated by heteroclitic CD8 T cell epitopes. J Immunol, 192(11):5245-56 (*joint senior authors).
- YC Liu, Z Chen, MA Neller, JJ Miles, AW Purcell, J McCluskey, SR Burrows, J Rossjohn, S Gras (2014) A molecular basis for the interplay between T cells, viral mutants, and Human Leukocyte Antigen micropolymorphism. J Biol Chem, 289(24):16688-98.
- MM Gresle, Y Liu, LF Dagley, J Haartsen, F Pearson, AW Purcell, L Laverick, A Petzold, RM Lucas, A Van der Walt, H Prime, DR Morris, BV Taylor on behalf of the Ausimmune Consortium, G Shaw, H Butzkueven (2014) Serum phosphorylated neurofilament-heavy chain levels in multiple sclerosis patients. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry, 85(11):1209-13
- DL Leyton, MD Johnson, R Thapa, GH Huysmans, RA Dunstan, N Celik, HH Shen, D Loo, MJ Belousoff, AW Purcell, IR Henderson, T Beddoe, J Rossjohn, LL Martin, RA Strugnell, T Lithgow (2014) A mortise-tenon joint in the transmembrane domain modulates autotransporter assembly into bacterial outer membranes. Nature Commun, 5:4239
- JA Trujillo, NP Croft, Dudek NL, R Channappanavar, A Theodossis, AI Webb, MA Dunstone, PT Illing, NS Butler, C Fett, DC Tscharke, J Rossjohn, S Perlman, AW Purcell (2014) The cellular redox environment alters antigen presentation. J Biol Chem, 289(40):27979-91
- JJ Miles, U Kiranmayee, D Thammanichanond, S Moneer, L Kjer-Nielsen, S Gras, I Lucet, SL Tracy, CK Aitken, RM Brennan, W Zheng, AW Purcell, DC Jackson, SR Burrows, DS Bowden, J Torresi, M Hellard, J Rossjohn, J McCluskey, M Bharadwaj (2014) An extensive antigenic footprint underpins immunodominant TCR adaptability against a hypervariable viral determinant. J Immunol, 193(11):5402-13
- V Pathiraja , JP Kuehlich, PD Campbell, B Krishnamurthy, T Loudovaris, PT Coates, TC Brodnicki, PJ O'Connell, K Kedzierska, C Rodda, P Bergman, E Hill, AW Purcell, NL Dudek, HE Thomas, TW Kay, SI Mannering (2015) Proinsulin specific, HLA-DQ8 and HLA-DQ8 transdimer restricted, CD4+ T cells infiltrate the islets in type 1diabetes. Diabetes, 64(1):172-82
- SD Robinson, H Safavi-Hemami, S Raghuraman, JS Imperial, AT Papenfuss, RW Teichert, AW Purcell, BM Olivera, RS Norton (2015) Discovery by proteogenomics and characterization of an RF-amide neuropeptide from cone snail venom. J Proteomics, 114:38-47
- MY Hardy, JA Tye-Din, JA Stewart, F Schmitz, NL Dudek, I Hanchapola, AW Purcell, RP Anderson (2015) Ingestion of oats and barley in patients with celiac disease mobilizes cross-reactive T cells activated by avenin peptides and immuno-dominant hordein peptides. J Autoimmun, 56:56-65
- RB Schittenhelm, TC Lim Kam Sian, PG Wilmann, NL Dudek, AW Purcell (2015) Revisiting the arthritogenic peptide theory: Quantitative not qualitative changes in the peptide repertoire of HLA-B27 allotypes. Arthritis Rheumatol, 67(3):702-13
- DG Gorasia, NL Dudek, PD Veith, R Shankar, H Safavi-Hemami, NA Williamson, EC Reynolds, MJ Hubbard, AW Purcell (2015) Pancreatic beta cells are highly susceptible to oxidative and ER stress during the development of diabetes. J Proteome Res, 14(2):688-99
- H Safavi-Hemami, J Gajewiak, S Karanth, SD Robinson, B Ueberheide, AD Douglass, A Schlegel, JS Imperial, M Watkins, PK Bandyopadhyay, M Yandell, Q Li, AW Purcell, RS Norton, L Ellgaard, BM Olivera (2015) Specialized insulin is used for chemical warfare by fish-hunting cone snails. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 112(6):1743-8
- NP Croft, DA de Verteuil, SA Smith, YC Wong, RB Schittenhelm, DC Tscharke, AW Purcell (2015) Simultaneous quantification of viral antigen expression kinetics using data-independent mass spectrometry. Mol Cell Proteomics, 14(5):1361-72
- MJ Rist, KM Hibbert, NP Croft, C Smith, MA Neller, JM Burrows, JJ Miles, AW Purcell, J Rossjohn, S Gras, SR Burrows (2015) T Cell Cross-Reactivity between a Highly Immunogenic EBV Epitope and a Self-Peptide Naturally Presented by HLA-B*18:01+ Cells. J Immunol 194(10):4668-75.
- KL Giam, R Ayala-Perez, PT Illing, RB Schittenhelm, NP Croft, AW Purcell*, NL Dudek* (2015) A comprehensive analysis of peptides presented by HLA-A1. Tissue Antigens, 85(6):492-6 *joint corresponding authors
- RA Dunstan, ID Hay, JJ Wilksch, RB Schittenhelm, AW Purcell, J Clark, A Costin, G Ramm, RA Strugnell, T Lithgow (2015) Assembly of the secretion pores GspD, Wza and CsgG into bacterial outer membranes does not require the Omp85 proteins BamA or TamA. Mol Microbiol [May 14 Epub ahead of print]
- NP Croft, AW Purcell, DC Tscharke (2015) Quantifying epitope presentation using mass spectrometry. Mol Immunol. [Jun 25Epub ahead of print]
- H Benham, HJ Nel, SC Law, AM Mehdi, S Street, N Ramnoruth, H Pahau, BT Lee, J Ng, ME Brunck, C Hyde, LA Trouw, NL Dudek, AW Purcell, BJ O'Sullivan, JE Connolly, SK Paul, KA Lê Cao, R Thomas (2015) Citrullinated peptide dendritic cell immunotherapy in HLA risk genotype-positive rheumatoid arthritis patients. Sci Transl Med. 7(290):290ra87
- E Caron, L Espona, DJ Kowalewski, H Schuster, N Ternette, A Alpízar, RB Schittenhelm, SH Ramarathinam, CS Lindestam Arlehamn, CC Koh, LC Gillet, A Rabsteyn, P Navarro, S Kim, H Lam, T Sturm, M Marcilla, A Sette, DS Campbell, EW Deutsch, RL Moritz, AW Purcell, HG Rammensee, S Stevanovic, R Aebersold (2015) An open-source computational and data resource to analyze digital maps of immunopeptidomes. eLife 10.7554/eLife.07661
2013-2017 NHMRC Senior Research Fellowship 1044215 (Purcell) "Understanding determinant selection in autoimmune diseases"
2014-2016 NHMRC Project Grant 1061961 (Mannering, Purcell) "The molecular basis of human CD4+ T-cell responses in autoimmune diabetes"
2014-2016 NHMRC Project Grant 1063829 (Purcell, Vivian) "The molecular basis of HLA-linked drug hypersensitivity reactions"
2014-2017 NHMRC Project Grant 1069466 (Doolan, Dudek, Purcell) "Immunodominance and protective immunity in the context of a complex host-pathogen system
2015-2017 NHMRC Project Grant 1085017 (Purcell, Kenna) "Unravelling the link between HLA B27 and autoimmunity"
2015-2018 NHMRC Project Grant 1085018 (Purcell, Mifsud, Kotsimbos) "The role of cross-reactive T cells in severe lung disease following viral respiratory infections"
2015-2019 NHMRC Project Grant 1084283 (Tscharke, Purcell, La Gruta, Croft) "A systems approach to understand anti-viral immunity"
2015-2017 ARC Discovery Project DP150104503 (Rossjohn, Purcell) "A study into the effect of post-translational modifications on adaptive immunity"
2015-2018 ARC Linkage Project LP150100621 (Norton, Purcell, Hooper, Papenfuss, O'Hara) "Australian Sea Anemone Venoms: Bioprospecting & Evolution"
2014-2019 NIH R01AI111965-01 (Li, Forrest, Song, Purcell, Velkov, Herzog, Creek, Kaye) "New Tricks for 'Old' Drugs: PK/PD of Polymyxin Nonantibiotic Combinations"
2015-2020 NIH R01AI119446 Grant (Kaye, Li, Nation, Forrest, Purcell, Scheetz, Wunderink, Stevenson, Kwa, Calfee, Pogue) "Optimizing Clinical Use of Polymyxin B: Teaching an Old Drug to Treat Superbugs"
2015-2017 JDRF Project grant 2-SRA-2014-294-Q-R (Purcell) "A peptidomics approach to understanding the fate and antigen presentation of post-translationally modified proteins in type 1 diabetes"